Parasites, Princesses, and Paranoia-or Another Day

Friday, May 19, 2006

Splashed by Poseidon


We went to see the movie Poseidon tonight. It was full of action and great special effects, even if lacking a bit on plot and believability. VERY reminiscent of Titanic, but with a lot less emphasis on character development/social commentary.
(It is only half the length, and since they managed to get the great special effects in, I guess they had to cut something, right?) But it was entertaining, and I enjoyed it, so I guess it was okay. That's the point of a movie, right? To be entertained. Yes.

So, to hell with all of the critics harping about "credibility" and reality. I like to be entertained, taken out of the real world for 1.5 hours or so.

And this was a fun, entertaining movie. If I want to learn something, I'll watch the Discovery
Channel. If I want authenticity, I'll watch the History Channel. When I want great special effects larger than life and riveting entertainment, I'll go to the movies.

If you have a big-screen, fancy TV, you can rent this one. Otherwise, check it out at the theater where its BIG.
Poseidon Movie Trailer

3 Comments:

  • Sorry, I don't think the only role of movies is mindless entertainment. Motion Pictures are the preeminent art form of the 20th and 21st century.

    Not to say there isn't a place for dumb, mindless entertainment, but there is more than enough room for thought-provoking films with social value.

    Blah, blah, blah.
    Going to see DaVinci Code tonight - hopefully it'll be better than the exceptionally mediocre book - but I doubt it.

    By Blogger RynoM, at 5/21/2006 6:24 PM  

  • I liked the book--but I still subscribe to the "check your reality at the door" thought of entertainment. There's enough outlets for "thought-provoking...social value" out there-what's wrong with checking-your-reality-at-the-door entertainment?

    Don't get me wrong--I like social commentary and thought-provoking media, but I enjoy s little "mindless entertainment," too, thank you very much.

    By Blogger Heather, at 5/21/2006 7:38 PM  

  • Tonight Megan and I are watching the movie "Orgazmo" - starring the guys who make South Park. Obviously I'm not opposed to mindless entertainment.

    My point is there is also ample room for the Casablancas, Citizen Kanes, Schindler's Lists, Brokebacks, American Beauties, Saving Private Ryans - movies that will stand the test of time and have more to say than BANG-BANG-BOOM!!!

    By Blogger RynoM, at 5/22/2006 9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home