Parasites, Princesses, and Paranoia-or Another Day

Friday, May 05, 2006

Quotes I Try to Live By



I just wanted to share with you all some of my favorite quotes. I keep them over my sink, where I am reminded of their importance first thing in the morning and when frazzled by making dinner after a long day at work. They help to reel me back toward center when I have lost focus and begin to spiral into negativity. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!



To laugh often and much;
to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;
to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition;
to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson







Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves ... Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps, then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer."

-- Rainer Maria Rilke

4 Comments:

  • WOW! What great words to instill inspiration, tranquility and happiness in life each and every day-

    By Blogger Scott, at 5/05/2006 9:42 PM  

  • I'm so glad you like them, too. I never get tired of them and they never seem to lose their relevance to me.

    By Blogger Heather, at 5/06/2006 6:45 AM  

  • I've got recipe cards in my car with some of my favorite quotes on them. Here are a few of my faves, most of which were actually said by real people:

    "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go," T.S. Elliot

    "I'm alive! What a neat thing to happen to a nice guy like me," Frosty the Snowman

    "Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense," Winston Churchill

    "I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do," Edward Everett Hale

    "Never take counsel of your fears," General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

    "If whole life have balance, everything will be better," Mr. Miyagi

    "They must often change who would be in constant happiness," Confusious

    By Blogger RynoM, at 5/07/2006 6:33 PM  

  • Very nice. I especially like the Frosty one! Thanks for sharing! Funny what a difference a few little reminders can make, isn't it?

    By Blogger Heather, at 5/08/2006 6:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home