Parasites, Princesses, and Paranoia-or Another Day

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Blast from the Past

So, R and I were having n interesting debate the other day prompted by one of the little sayings that you seem to have all your life and you never think about (ie, "My name is Simon and I like to do drawrings [sic]...") So just when did this show air and was it it's very own show (claimed by R) or was it part of another show (claimed by myself?) Here's the info I found online:

Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings was produced in the early 1970s by FilmFair London Productions. It concerned the adventures of a small boy who had a magic blackboard in his bedroom. It was magical for one reason only - whatever Simon drew on his blackboard would appear in Chalk Drawing Land. Only Simon knew of this special place and only he could create the drawings for it. Many children have seen Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings on a program called Captain Kangaroo. I do not believe Captain Kangaroo and the Electric Company was
actually seen on UK television as Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings had his own five or so minute slot on childrens television around tea time.

Chalk Drawing Land was found just over the fence which Simon normally
entered by climbing a ladder. Occasionally the characters of Chalk Drawing Land would wait to meet Simon on the fence itself. Once on top of the fence, Simon was transported to the fantasy world of which everything was a chalk drawing except Simon.


So, it appears that us late-twentysomething and early-thirtysomething Americans saw it on either The Electric Company or Captain Kangaroo. (I was independently thinking The Electric Company before I found this info, so I'm gonna stick with that, although I'll admit to watching Captain Kangaroo, so that's a possibility, too.) Does anyone who remembers this lovely show (and I know some of you do,) remember where you saw it?

Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings Song

Neat. I just love the little opening ditty. So catchy!

1 Comments:

  • I thought it was on Reading Rainbow. After your post maybe it was Electric Company because I used to watch that too. It's either one or the other. Still think Reading Rainbow though.

    By Blogger Rob Arguello, at 5/30/2006 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home